Red Bull boss Christian Horner was grilled once again about the possibility of Sergio Perez replacing Alex Albon but nothing has changed with regards to the decision-making process.
Perez did his chances of joining Red Bull no harm whatsoever having clinched a superb victory at the Sakhir Grand Prix. It was a win that only increased the calls for him to replace the underperforming Albon and join Max Verstappen at the team for the upcoming 2021 campaign.
Ahead of what could be his final race weekend in Formula 1 for at least a year, Perez said he had received a number of messages, including one from Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko, congratulating him on his maiden victory.
Horner was another to get in touch, but turned down Perez’s appealing suggestion to go and drink tequila with him back at the hotel.
“He sent me one back asking us to go and join him for some tequilas, because he was staying in the same hotel, which was very nice of him,” Horner said on Sky Sports F1.
“I think everybody in the pit lane was delighted for him, to see him win that grand prix.
“He’s been around a long time, he drove for me in GP2 years ago, and I think he was a very popular winner last Sunday.”
Get your hands on the official Red Bull 2020 collection via the Formula 1 store
Horner, though, would not offer up any new information about the Perez/Albon decision, but did say Perez is doing exactly what he needs to do.
“We’re giving Alex every opportunity as I’ve previously said,” Horner added.
“No decisions will be made until after this race but Sergio has given a very good account of himself.
“I know what you’re fishing for. You’re not going to get it.
“As I say, the focus is on doing the best job we can with Alex, and Sergio, he just needs to keep doing what he’s doing.
“He’s doing a great job, doing a great advert for himself. I think our focus is very much on Alex, and we want to see him do the best job he can this weekend.”
Source: Read Full Article