Power comes from a 3.0-liter inline-six with 335 hp.
Nearly a month ago, BMW unveiled the 8 Series Gran Coupe with an 840i base version that at the time was not available for its two-door siblings. The company’s U.S. branch is now addressing this issue by introducing the entry-level flavor for the 8 Series Coupe and Convertible available from $87,900 and $97,400, respectively. Should you want xDrive instead of the standard tail-happy setup, the AWD-equipped 840i Coupe retails for $97,400 and the 840i xDrive Convertible from $100,300. Previously, the cheapest 8er in North America was the M850i xDrive Coupe from $111,900. All prices exclude the $995 destination and handling charges.
You’ll be losing two cylinders by getting the 840i instead of the M850i, but that shouldn’t be much of an issue considering the 3.0-liter inline-six packs a healthy 335 horsepower and 368 pound-feet (500 Newton-meters) of torque. Get the coupe in RWD form and it’ll do 0 to 60 mph in a not-too-shabby 4.7 seconds, while xDrive will slash three-tenths of a second to enable a 4.4s sprint. Due to its increased weight, the equivalent convertible needs 5 seconds when configured with rear-wheel drive and 4.6s with AWD.
Regardless of the 840i you go for, all of them come with an electronic top speed limiter programmed to kick in at 155 mph (250 kph) when the car is equipped with performance tires. If it has all-season rubber, the limiter is activated at 130 mph (209 kph).
Even though the 840i is now effectively the entry point into the 8 Series lineup, it still packs plenty of standard equipment. From a head-up display and rearview camera to soft-close doors and adaptive LED headlights, the 8 Series is brimming with kit. It goes beyond that as BMW also throws in dynamic damper control, keyless entry, and sport seats, while wireless charging and a Harman Kardon sound system are also included.
While the rear-wheel-drive models come with an M Sport differential, the xDrive ones have four-wheel steering. All of them ride on 18-inch alloys and boast an automatic transmission, plus other goodies like heated steering wheel, front seat armrests, and Wi-Fi hotspot. At an additional cost, an M Sport Package is available, as are various safety and assistance systems.
Production is scheduled to begin later this month, with the market launch set for September.
Note: BMW M850i xDrive Coupe pictured.
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Twitter
- Share on LinkedIn
- Share on Flipboard
- Pin It
- Share on Reddit
- Share on WhatsApp
- Send to email
The 2020 BMW 840i and 840i xDrive Coupe and Convertible
- 3.0 liter 6-cylinder 840i and 840i xDrive with 335 hp and 368 lb-ft torque.
- Production to begin July 2019. Market Launch September 2019.
- Pricing from $87,900 plus $995 Destination for the 840i Coupe.
- Active Guard and Active Protection – Automatic seat belt tensioning, automatic closing of windows, fatigue and focus alert, post-crash braking and Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation
- Steptronic Sport Automatic Transmission
- Live Cockpit Professional with iDrive 7 with Apple CarPlay compatibility
- 18-inch V-Spoke wheels with all-season tires run-flat tires
- Dynamic Damper Control
- M Sport differential (840i Coupe & Convertible only)
- Integral Active Steering (840i xDrive Coupe & Convertible only)
- Comfort Access keyless entry
- Soft-Close Automatic doors
- Rear View Camera
- Sport Seats
- Heated Front Seat Armrests and Steering Wheel
- Nappa Leather finished instrument panel
- Icon Adaptive LED headlights with Laserlight
- Head-Up display
- SiriusXM Satellite radio with 1 year All-Access subscription
- Harman Kardon Surround Sound Audio system
- Wireless charging
- WiFi hotspot
- Enhanced USB and Bluetooth
- Alarm System
- Driving Assistance Professional Package – (includes Driving Assistant Package) Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways, Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Extended Frontal Collision Warning & Mitigation with full braking, Active Blind Spot Protection with steering, Active Lane Keeping Assist with Side-Collision Avoidance, Evasion Aid including pedestrians, Junction/Intersection warning and Emergency Stop Assistant.
- Driving Assistance Package (all models) – Parking Assistant Plus, Drive Recorder, Surround View 3D Camera, Active Park Distance Control, Active Driving Assistant (Rear cross-traffic alert and Speed Limit info),, Blind Spot Detection and Lane Departure Warning.
- Driving Assistance Package 2 (all models) – Park Distance Control, Active Driving Assistant (Rear cross-traffic alert and Speed Limit info), Blind Spot Detection and Lane Departure Warning.
- M Sport Package (all models) – choice of 19-inch wheels with all-season or performance run-flat tires or 20-inch wheels with performance run-flat tires, Multi-functional seats, choice of interior trim, M steering wheel, Aerodynamic kit, Shadowline exterior trim, choice of Anthracite headliner or Alcantara headliner in interior color or Anthracite, Black Merino leather with M piping and extended leather content or choice of Individual Extended Merino leather or Full Merino leather.
- Comfort Seating Package (all models) – Front Ventilated seats, Multi-Functional seats, Neck Warmer (Convertibles only).
- Selection of 19-inch and 20-inch light-alloy wheels
- Integral Active Steering (standard on 840i xDrive models)
- Glass Controls
- Multi-Functional seats
- Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound Audio
- Night Vision with Pedestrian detection
- Alcantara headliner in Anthracite or interior color (Coupes only)
- Extended Shadowline exterior trim
- Moonlight Black soft top (Convertibles only)
Source: Read Full Article