From wacky concepts to rare collector cars and ground-shaking monster trucks – the humble pick-up has always inspired enthusiasts willing to take things to extremes…
OK, before you get over-excited this isn’t a real pick-up truck, but we love this concept rendering of a Porsche Taycan-based ‘TrayKan’ model by designer Adel Bouras.
With styling cues suggesting both the off-road ability of the Cayenne SUV and the dynamism of the Taycan electic sportscar, the TrayKan is a fascinating take on a possible premium rival for the Tesla Cyber Truck. It wasn’t so long ago that Porsche fans were deriding the prospect of a Porsche SUV… but a pick-up? Don’t hold your breath!
Dodge Sidewinder concept
Predating the Viper-engined Dodge Ram SRT-10 by a good few years, the Dodge Sidewinder concept truck from 1997 was another Viper-engined machine but with an even sportier feel. The engine chosen to power the Sidewinder was the 600bhp race-prepped GTS-R version, and the truck has a racecar-style clamshell bonnet and a very low ride height. Bucket seats and a simple retro dash characterise the interior, which is topped off by a fabric convertible roof and a low (relatively – it’s still a truck!) ‘speedster’ style windscreen.
Skoda Felicia Fun
Conceived as a show concept car for VW-owned Skoda, the Felicia Fun pick-up was so well received that the Czech carmaker put it into production. Based on the standard and entirely unremarkable Felicia pick-up, the Fun version added a slide-out rear cab with seating for an extra two passengers. A Truckman-style top was available for weather protection, otherwise the rear seats were open to the elements.
BMW M3 E93 pick-up
BMW likes an April Fool’s gag, but this spoof 2011 pick-up version of the E93 BMW M3 was so good it could have sold like hot cakes. The 414bhp V8 powered M3 was built by students and interns at the M performance division’s HQ and it was even snapped doing hot laps of the Nurburgring before BMW revealed it was all an April Fool.
But not before BMW had claimed dibs on the ‘fastest targa pick-up in the world’, with an unofficial 186mph recorded by then M boss Kay Segler.
The world’s craziest pick-ups
- Page1: Introduction, Hennessey VelociRaptor 6×6
- Page 2: Dodge Ram SRT-10, Honda Civic Type R pick-up, GMC Syclone
- Page 3: Isuzu Como F1 Super Truck, Chevy SSR, Dodge D-Series Custom Sports Special
- Page 4: ‘Indestructible’ Toyota Hilux, Arctic Trucks Toyota Tacoma, Lamborghini LM002
- Page 5: ‘Fedor’ Trophy Truck, Land Rover Centaur, Hummer H1
- Page 6: Mercedes Benz AMG G63 6×6, El Camino SS 1970-72, Giant 1950 Dodge Power Wagon
- Page 7: Bigfoot, Oklahoma Willy, Tesla Cybertruck
- Page 8: Ferrari 412 pick-up, HSV Maloo GTS, Terradyne Gurkha
- Page 9: Porsche TrayKan, Dodge Sidewinder concept, Skoda Felicia Fun, BMW M3 E93 pick-up
Which pick-up is your favourite? Let us know in the comments…
Source: Read Full Article