Race circuits were where McLaren’s history was forged, from the moment founder Bruce McLaren began competing on the continent at the end of 1950s to modern-day GT racing. Inspired by the brand’s racing history – and named after arguably the most crucial aspect of successful cornering at high speeds – the new MSO Apex Collection comprises just 15 McLaren 720S Coupes, showcasing five special designs celebrating nations associated with McLaren successes on the track.
The rigid and light carbon fibre chassis at the heart of every McLaren – introduced for the first time into F1 in 1981 – is an example of the brand’s evolution from racing to a sportscar and supercar maker.
This connection is immediately evident to every Apex Collection owner upon opening the 720S’s dihedral door, which reveals MSO Bespoke extended side sills in CF, adorned with the apex speed of the fastest corner at the Collection’s Grand Prix circuit of that country.
Achieved in the car by one of McLaren’s professional performance drivers, the apex speed presents a challenge that each owner can take on by joining a Pure McLaren track driving event, where they will be coached by a McLaren professional driver to maximise their circuit driving potential.
The 720S Coupe MSO Apex Collection is divided into five different themes, each celebrating a nation indelibly linked to McLaren’s motor racing success:
- Apex Great Britain – two right-hand-drive cars and two left-hand-drive cars – 110 mph refers to the apex speed in the high-speed Abbey corner that begins a lap of the Silverstone Grand Prix circuit.
- Apex Germany – one right-hand-drive car and two left-hand-drive cars – 85 mph refers to the apex speed in the Mobil 1 kurve that leads into the old stadium section at the Hockenheimring.
- Apex France – one right-hand-drive car and two left-hand-drive cars – 104 mph refers to the apex speed in the sweeping Signes curve at the end of the Mistral Straight on the Circuit Paul Ricard.
- Apex Belgium – one right-hand-drive car and two left-hand-drive cars – 103 mph refers to the apex speed in the iconic Eau Rouge section of the majestic Spa-Francorchamps track.
- Apex Italy – one right-hand-drive car and two left-hand-drive cars – 90 mph refers to the Ascari chicane that precedes the famous Parabolica on the historic Monza circuit.
If this sounds great for the moneyed F1 fan, it gets better. Every owner an Apex collection 720S will receive a Formula 1 paddock pass, and they will also be able to participate in the Pirelli Hot Laps experience – a high-speed passenger lap in a McLaren car with a pro driver at the wheel – where they will be able to see for themselves how the apex speed is achieved.
The McLaren 720S Coupe with its carbon fibre Monocage II body structure comes with a 720 PS twin-turbo V8 engine and Proactive Chassis Control II active suspension. Zero to 100 km/h takes 2.9 seconds and the double ton is reached in just 7.8 seconds.
Every MSO Apex Collection car comes with the 720S Track Pack fitted, adding additional motorsport content and making it an even lighter, more circuit-focused supercar with a 24 kg weight savings. Based on the 720S Performance specification – with hood air intakes, rear fender air intakes and door mirror casings in CF and engine bay ambient lighting – the Track Pack exterior adds on “Super-Lightweight” 10-spoke forged alloys, an “MSO Defined Gloss Finish Visual Carbon Fibre Active Rear Spoiler” and a sports exhaust.
Inside, you’ll find CF racing seats and a titanium harness bar that supports six-point harnesses for both driver and passenger. The McLaren Telemetry (MTT) system allows owners to analyse their circuit progress and improvement opportunities, recording driving performance using three integrated video and advanced data logging.
Apex cars also features a range of MSO options, including extended shift paddles, MSO Bespoke steering wheel with 12 o’clock marker in a dual colour band (Alcantara or leather), and MSO Bespoke throttle pedal and key shell. Lastly, an MSO Bespoke dedication plaque identifies the cars in the collection, which are also distinguished by an MSO Apex logo on the rear fender.
The McLaren 720S Coupe MSO Apex Collection is on sale now from £288,813 (RM1.49 million) at selected European retailers with customer deliveries beginning in next month.
Source: Read Full Article